Thursday, September 15, 2011

Go To Sauce

I was given 5 bags of tomatoes so I had to use this wonderful recipe my SIL Fabiana gave me - Little Joe's Sauce. Its my GO TO Sauce -you can use it a few different ways so its a great sauce to always have on hand. A Homemade YUMMY!

#1 Spaghetti Sauce: 1 pint jar LJ Sauce + 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce [could + 1 (6oz) can tomato paste if you want it thicker]
#2 Soup Base: Put LJ Sauce in a crockpot and + your choice of meat, beans, veggies to go with it
#3 Cook over meat: use on Roast Beef or other meat. Pour it over and bake in oven.


Ingredients:
1/2 cup olive oil
3 medium onions( I food process these)
4 stalks celery (I food process these)
1/4 cup minced garlic
8 cups tomatoes (I cut them up, measure the 8 cups then food process them)
5 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 Tbl. dry ground oregano
1 tsp. dry rosemary
4 bay leaves(crushed with hands)
2 tsp. dry basil
1 Tbl. black pepper
1/8 cup salt
{I added 1 cup of dehydrated red&green peppers}

Put all the ingredients in a big pot. Turn it on high to start a boil then turn down to low temp and cook for 2 1/2 hours. Stirring occasionally. Put in hot sterilized jars and Water Bath them for 30 mins.
Yields: about 7 pints jars
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Do you think this could be frozen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it could. I haven't tried that yet but thanks for the challenge to see how it does in the freezer. I know casserole dishes that have similar ingredients do well for about 6 months, so it might last that long. Let us know how it goes for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails