Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Giving to Our Neighbors

For the first time ever we got "jingled" the other night. We've been "Boo'd" several times (for Halloween) but never jingled. It was fun, and yummy too! Now we get to jingle 2 of our neighbors if we want to keep it going. Go to this website to print out the poem and go jungle your neighbors tonight!!

Something I did last year for our neighbors was the Giving Basket. I filled this pretty basket with all kinds of holiday stuff and attached a note with instructions and our Christmas greeting to our neighbors.

Here's a closer look at what I put in.

Here's the little note that I had attached to the basket. (click on picture to enlarge)

And on the back I made a little map and schedule to help make it easier.

And it worked! It came back with different stuff in it and greeting cards from all my neighbors. It was a neat tradition that my friend, Debbie shared with me. Her neighbors look forward to the giving basket every year!
Go here and here to see my posts on this from last year.
Pin It

10 comments:

  1. this is a great idea...so the basket returns to your house with goodies in it as well? The people don't keep the Christmas cards?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica- You can do it however you want to, but I just left it up to them. My neighbors all put their cards in for all to see, and yes, at the end it came back to me with everyone's cards. It was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, I remember now... I wanted to put in enough cards from me for everyone, but I didn't have enough left after sending them out to family and old friends and didn't want to order more for the 3rd time! so I think that's why I just put in one card. So everyone followed suit. That's right. But I guess it worked out good so people didn't think THEY had to give cards to everyone too. Anyway, you can do it however you'd like. Let me know if someone does something even more creative or something different. I like everyone's ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The giving basket is such a fun idea! How fun to get to know your neighbors better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy wednesday!
    i stumbled upon your blog via several other blogs (you know how the blog train goes..)and just LOVE your site!!

    this basket is a wonderful idea =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Angela...I think I'll be doing something like this! It is a great way to reach out to neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let me know how it goes Jessica... I would love to hear about your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have already printed mine off....i am working on the goodies today...and /i will ring and run tonight!!!!

    cant wait! you give me the best ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving all your awesome ideas for Christmas. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Angela,

    I saw this idea earlier this year and thought: "what a great (and cheap... important) way to get to know your neighbors or get closer to them". So I decided I'd make it this Christmas.

    I have a couple questions: what kind of things did you put in your basket. From your picture I can see a pouch of cookie mix, gift tags, a Santa ornament and a nutcracker, but I don't get to see the rest. Also, how many items did you put in it?

    My other question is: Do you think it's safe to ask the neighbors who would like to participate, or is it better to leave it as a surprise? If the latter, what would you do if a person doesn't want to participate?

    Thank you for this great idea, I wish you and your beautiful family a wonderful Christmas, full of joy and magic.

    Gabi @ ElDesordenDeGabi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails