PopUpPortal.com that helped a lot in our venture. Fixing up this tent trailer has become a hobby for him ever since. He has since replaced the wood, fixed electrical stuff, repainted the whole exterior, rigged up a way to put up our canopy, and several other things. He continues to come up with new improvements every few weeks.
My part in this whole tent trailer project has been lots and lots of sewing!! I spent many, many hours sewing on this thing, so I think it's time for a little "show and tell"!!
My first project was a biggie- the canvas, itself. Something I NEVER wish to do again! We had to take the entire canvas off the trailer since it was all one piece. We bought some canvas that matched and had to tear out and re-do whole sections of canvas and screen. I did it all with just my Kenmore sewing machine! (Of course I had to use heavy-duty needles and thread to sew on canvas.) I had to set up a long table in the garage, and my husband helped me handle that "beast" while I measured, pinned and sewed. I couldn't have done it without his help!
After the sewing repairs, we still had to patch up the smaller rips and tears; and we continue to do so. The best stuff we have found for patching is called Tear Mender, which we have to order online.
The next thing I decided to re-do in our trailer was our seat cushions. The old ones were not only uncomfy and outdated, but worn as well.
So I found some upholstery fabric at Walmart for $1.50/yard and sewed new covers. I just took off the old covers, unstitched them from the vinyl backing and used them as a pattern to cut new ones. I saved the vinyl backing (with zippers still attached) since they were still in pretty good shape, and sewed on the new fabric to fit the cushions. The hardest ones to do were the bunk ends. But the seat cushions were really not too bad!
I just recently re-did the curtains since the old ones were moldy and stained. I happended to find some more great fabric at Walmart for a great price. So for very little money and a whole lot of time, I was able to add my personal touch to make the inside of our trailer look and feel warm and cozy for camping!
And I LOVE how it turned out! Next I would like to use my leftover fabric to make coordinating bedspreads for the 2 bunk ends. Maybe next year though. Whew!