Tuesday, April 12, 2011

How Much Do We Need?

This weekend as I was putting away the items(food & "other") from my weekly shopping trip, I realized something that might help me to know how much to buy to have my year's supply. I have a good handle on the food part but its the toiletries that I'm not prepared on the quantity. Things like: handsoap, deodorant, q-tips/cotton balls, bodywash, toothpaste, mouthwash, dish soap, cleaners, toilet paper, etc. . . So I decided to put the date on an item when I open it then when its gone I can do my calculating for the year & buy accordingly. I love using coupons but if I don't need to stock pile a certain item because it takes too long to use it, then I've just wasted money that could have gone somewhere else! Pin It

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I am always perplexed as to how much of the 'other' stuff we need for storage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an important question! As I've watched the Extreme Coupon show and started my own stockpile, I keep coming back to the same question - when is enough, enough? If you've read my couponing posts, you saw that I created a set of boundaries for myself, with money, as well as the containers that I'm using for storage. However, I find myself drawn back to the store each week because I don't dare want to miss the special!!
    Definitely something that can get out of hand if you don't place limits on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband laughs because almost every non-food item in my house has a date on it. I think it really helps. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you have a lot of one item, then only get more when it is free. Through couponing and rebates you can get most non-food items almost free, sometimes you even make money.
    My theory is, if it is free or next to free, you can never have to much.
    I just went to rite aid and bought 15 items and only paid 12 cents plus tax. At that price, I couldn't afford not to buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ladies- I too have watched the extreme couponing show. It is great when you can get the deals but its also nice to keep yourself in check of "wants" verses "needs".

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails